Make a difference for women and girls who refuse to be victims of violence: Volunteer!
Volunteers are integral to ensuring Tahirih’s high quality services are delivered to all clients. Tahirih has a variety of volunteer opportunities in Baltimore, Greater DC and Houston.
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities Include:
- Interpretation/Translation: Proficient interpreters commonly provide interpretation for client meetings with the legal and social services teams. Assignments have included translating informational flyers about Tahirih and client documents.
- Transportation: Lack of access to transportation is a major barrier to clients accessing necessary services. Clients may need transportation to a medical or legal appointment. Transportation waivers are provided to the driver.
- Daily Living Assistance/ESL/Job Skills Tutoring: Volunteers support clients in the achievement of a variety of goals. This might include assisting a client with a job application, or informal meetings to practice reading and speaking in English.
- Administrative Support: Volunteers may assist with client file maintenance or supporting development staff in data entry.
- Donation Drives: Clients who are rebuilding their lives in the wake of violence often have a range of basic needs for items such as diapers and professional clothing. Volunteers may work with our social services staff to address the most urgent needs in our office locations.
Submit a volunteer application to let us know of your volunteering interests and stay informed about upcoming trainings and opportunities. All volunteers must pass a background check and complete a short training course on working with survivors of violence. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
*If you are an attorney, medical professional, or have expertise in another field and wish to volunteer your professional services, please consider becoming a member of our Pro Bono Network. For internships, fellowships, and volunteer staff attorney positions, click here.