Forced Marriage Protection
If you are facing or fleeing a forced marriage or know someone who is, we can help.
The Forced Marriage Initiative at Tahirih Justice Center is available to offer you support regardless of your age, race, class, gender, immigration status, nationality, sexual orientation, or religion.
We will discuss your rights and your options, guide you through steps you can take to keep safe, and help you to find resources in your area, including emergency shelter, legal services, counseling, and other forms of assistance. All of the information you share will be kept confidential.
Phone: 571-282-6161 (9 a.m.-5:30 p.m. EST, Monday-Friday)
Be aware that your communications can be monitored. This can include emails, texts, phone calls, and Internet use. We encourage all of our clients to conceal information about research they have done and contacts they have made in an effort to get help. We urge everyone to:
- Create an anonymous email account that no one knows about in order to communicate safely when reaching out for help.
- Only use a device that you solely control, and avoid shared devices such as family computers and cell phones on a family plan.
- Consider using a secret, pre-paid phone or accessing computers at school or the library, which can be a safer way to communicate.
Tahirih’s Forced Marriage Initiative is here to help you find ways to protect your privacy and enable you to communicate safely and freely with people who can help.
HOURS OF OPERATION
Please keep in mind that although we do our best to respond to service seekers as soon as possible, we are not a 24-hour hotline. We are in the office between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. EST, Monday-Friday.
24-Hour Assistance – If you find yourself in need of assistance outside of our normal business hours, you may contact the following national hotlines for assistance:
- Domestic Violence – National Domestic Violence Hotline 24 hour Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
- Sexual Abuse – Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network (RAINN) 24 hour Hotline: 1-800-656-4673
- Suicidal Thoughts – National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 24 hour Hotline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Human Trafficking – National Human Trafficking Resource Center 24 hour Hotline: 1-888-373-7888
If you are in immediate danger, call 911 and your local police will provide you with emergency help.