meet a pro bono partner
Latham & Watkins LLP
- Q: Why did you join Tahirih's Pro Bono Network?
- A: I am of West African descent and come from a family of immigrants. As a result, immigration issues have always been of utmost importance to me.
- Q: Share a highlight from a pro bono case with Tahirih.
- A: I have been representing a woman from Mali who is petitioning for adjustment of status under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). The client and her two children suffered extensive domestic abuse at the hand of her husband, who then abandoned them and left them to fend for themselves. I worked hard to gain the client’s trust and obtain the details of the abuse and the circumstances of her case, which was very difficult for her to relay. After drafting a detailed declaration to USCIS with supporting medical records, police reports, and other documentation, I submitted the VAWA self-petition to USCIS along with a petition for adjustment of status and request for employment authorization. Within a few weeks after our submission, USCIS made a prima facie determination of the client’s eligibility and granted her request for employment authorization. A final determination on the VAWA self-petition and petition for adjustment of status is still pending, but I am hopeful that we will get good news from USCIS soon.
- Q: How has your Pro Bono service impacted you?
- A: My pro bono service has been extremely rewarding. It has been great getting to know my clients and earning their trust, but it is particularly fulfilling to see my hard work actually make a significant difference in their lives.
Do Something!Please join us as a pro bono partner or volunteer today! Your time and talents can truly make a difference.
meet more pro bono partners
Litigation AssociateKirkland & Ellis LLPI am a better lawyer, a better citizen, and a better person because of my work with Tahirih.
AttorneyBradley Arant Boult Cummings LLPTaking a Tahirih case makes me proud to be a lawyer and humbled that another person would allow me to help them in such a personal way.
AssociateBradley Arant Boult Cummings LLPMy client’s strength, resolve, and perseverance is a source of inspiration to me and drives me to be a more conscientious person.