meet a pro bono partner
Crowell & Moring LLP
- Q: Why did you join Tahirih’s Pro Bono Network?
- A: I attended a training session for Tahirih and was stunned to learn how many women and girls have been abandoned, abused, and controlled by their U.S. citizen husbands. I knew right away that I wanted to use my legal training to help these women who weren't able to navigate the confusing and frightening immigration process on their own.
- Q: Share a highlight from a pro bono case with Tahirih.
- A: Over the past year, I worked closely with my Tahirih mentor and a partner from my firm to file a petition to allow our client to remain in this country after her abusive husband divorced and abandoned her. When we first met her, she was pregnant, alone, and terrified, but over the course of the year we watched her grow stronger as she began to trust others and realize that we had her best interests at heart. By the time we filed the I-751, she had a stable job, a safe apartment, and a healthy and thriving toddler. It has been gratifying to watch her begin to blossom and feel safe in this country.
- Q: How has your pro bono service impacted you?
- A: Pro bono work is the best thing we can do as lawyers. The ability to give back to others in need is intensely satisfying on a number of levels. There's nothing like the feeling of knowing you are helping someone who truly needs a hand. I'm incredibly grateful to be at a firm that values and supports pro bono work.
Do Something!Please join us as a pro bono partner or volunteer today! Your time and talents can truly make a difference.
meet more pro bono partners
Staff AttorneyRichards Kibbee & OrbeIt has been humbling to work with a client who, despite extreme hardship in her past, has been able to increasingly open up to me.
Associate AttorneyBaker & McKenzie LLPThe women and children I've worked with over the years inspire me to take on new cases.
Hogan Lovells US LLPRealizing the impact of the case’s outcome not just for our client but for her son, shows how these cases can be completely life changing for a family’s future.