meet a pro bono partner
Law Office of Maria Segarra
- Q: Why did you join Tahirih’s Pro Bono Network?
- A: I had the pleasure of working previously with two of Tahirih’s amazing attorneys, Christine Hoang and Leah Chen Price. When Christine invited me to work on a pro bono immigration matter for Tahirih, I seized the opportunity to work with, and learn from, an organization with such depth and breadth of expertise in advocating for women and children fleeing from violence.
- Q: Share a highlight from a pro bono case with Tahirih.
- A: The resilience of my Tahirih clients is inspiring! One client had endured severe exploitation and abuse at the hands of her traffickers. She has nonetheless found a way to be resilient and continues to have a positive attitude about life. Her warmth and kindness fueled my own. I worked on her application for T visa, and when it was approved, the news made my day.
- Q: How has your pro bono service impacted you?
- A: Working with each woman or child who had survived abuse and trauma in their lives has given me meaning and purpose. I went to law school because I wanted to advocate for children, to be a voice for those who feel powerless on their own. As I listen to my clients’ stories, work to earn their trust, and advocate for their behalf, I learn from them. Each client has a different perspective. Each interaction broadens my own. And my life is fuller and more meaningful because of my clients.
Do Something!Please join us as a pro bono partner or volunteer today! Your time and talents can truly make a difference.
meet more pro bono partners
Meghan Leibold LidsterStaff AttorneyRichards Kibbee & OrbeIt has been humbling to work with a client who, despite extreme hardship in her past, has been able to increasingly open up to me.
Lindsay Wright BrettAssociate AttorneyBaker & McKenzie LLPThe women and children I've worked with over the years inspire me to take on new cases.
Alicia Balthazar, Deborah Wei, Maria A. Arboleda, & Marta ThompsonHogan Lovells US LLPRealizing the impact of the case’s outcome not just for our client but for her son, shows how these cases can be completely life changing for a family’s future.