meet a pro bono partner
Law Office of Maria Segarra
- Q: Why did you join Tahirih’s Pro Bono Network?
- A: I had the pleasure of working previously with two of Tahirih’s amazing attorneys, Christine Hoang and Leah Chen Price. When Christine invited me to work on a pro bono immigration matter for Tahirih, I seized the opportunity to work with, and learn from, an organization with such depth and breadth of expertise in advocating for women and children fleeing from violence.
- Q: Share a highlight from a pro bono case with Tahirih.
- A: The resilience of my Tahirih clients is inspiring! One client had endured severe exploitation and abuse at the hands of her traffickers. She has nonetheless found a way to be resilient and continues to have a positive attitude about life. Her warmth and kindness fueled my own. I worked on her application for T visa, and when it was approved, the news made my day.
- Q: How has your pro bono service impacted you?
- A: Working with each woman or child who had survived abuse and trauma in their lives has given me meaning and purpose. I went to law school because I wanted to advocate for children, to be a voice for those who feel powerless on their own. As I listen to my clients’ stories, work to earn their trust, and advocate for their behalf, I learn from them. Each client has a different perspective. Each interaction broadens my own. And my life is fuller and more meaningful because of my clients.
Do Something!Please join us as a pro bono partner or volunteer today! Your time and talents can truly make a difference.
meet more pro bono partners
Staff AttorneyRichards Kibbee & OrbeIt has been humbling to work with a client who, despite extreme hardship in her past, has been able to increasingly open up to me.
Associate AttorneyBaker & McKenzie LLPThe women and children I've worked with over the years inspire me to take on new cases.
Hogan Lovells US LLPRealizing the impact of the case’s outcome not just for our client but for her son, shows how these cases can be completely life changing for a family’s future.