meet a pro bono partner
Baker & McKenzie LLP
- Q: Why did you join Tahirih's Pro Bono Network?
- A: When I heard about Tahirih opening a Houston office and learned more about their mission of protecting immigrant women and children, I knew I wanted to get involved. Tahirih has afforded me the opportunity to make an impact locally through pro bono efforts on matters that are so important and inspiring.
- Q: Can you share a highlight from a memorable case?
- A: After many delays and hurdles in the process, we received a call from the asylum office informing us that my client's application was granted. Fortunately, my client happened to be in my office when we received the call. Although she primarily spoke French, she was able to immediately tell we had received the good news that we had all been waiting for. Being able to share in that moment of joy with her was one of the best moments. It was one I will never forget. Not only was it an amazing result for the client, the decision also allowed her to help protect her two young daughters, who were going to be subjected to FGM/C in a couple of weeks.
- Q: How has your pro bono service impacted you?
- A: Working with Tahirih has allowed me to help amazing clients who refuse to give up when faced with unthinkable challenges. Seeing their strength and willingness to stand up for what they believe in, even when knowing the consequences that may result, is truly inspiring. Through Tahirih, I have been able to make a meaningful impact on my clients' lives, which is an incredible opportunity.
Do Something!Please join us as a pro bono partner or volunteer today! Your time and talents can truly make a difference.
meet more pro bono partners
Meghan Leibold LidsterStaff AttorneyRichards Kibbee & OrbeIt has been humbling to work with a client who, despite extreme hardship in her past, has been able to increasingly open up to me.
Lindsay Wright BrettAssociate AttorneyBaker & McKenzie LLPThe women and children I've worked with over the years inspire me to take on new cases.
Alicia Balthazar, Deborah Wei, Maria A. Arboleda, & Marta ThompsonHogan Lovells US LLPRealizing the impact of the case’s outcome not just for our client but for her son, shows how these cases can be completely life changing for a family’s future.