meet a pro bono partner
Daira I. Birmingham
- Q: Why did you volunteer your services to Tahirih?
- A: Last year, I was introduced to Tahirih by my daughter Marisa Birmingham, who had served as a volunteer attorney at Tahirih Baltimore. After listening to her, I fell in love with Tahirih’s mission. I wanted to share the knowledge and skills that I acquired during my tenure as a public servant reaching out to under represented communities. It is wonderful that immigrant women girls have advocates to fight for them.
- Q: How has your service impacted you?
- A: I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to help conduct Tahirih’s pilot Trauma Informed Practices Scale survey. The survey is a tool to measure clients’ experiences to help ensure that Tahirih’s services remain client-centered and trauma-informed. The clients I spoke to were so positive and appreciative of the help they received from Tahirih staff. I was extremely inspired by all of the courageous woman with whom I had the opportunity to speak.
- Q: What is the one thing you would like to share with other Tahirih volunteers and supporters?
- A: There should be more organizations like Tahirih. Their initiatives on behalf of immigrant women and girls are truly outstanding. I know from personal experience that it is very challenging to leave your home to live in a different country. I am extremely honored to have volunteered with an organization that serves this sometimes forgotten group of women.
Do Something!Please join us as a pro bono partner or volunteer today! Your time and talents can truly make a difference.
meet more pro bono partners
Staff AttorneyRichards Kibbee & OrbeIt has been humbling to work with a client who, despite extreme hardship in her past, has been able to increasingly open up to me.
Associate AttorneyBaker & McKenzie LLPThe women and children I've worked with over the years inspire me to take on new cases.
Hogan Lovells US LLPRealizing the impact of the case’s outcome not just for our client but for her son, shows how these cases can be completely life changing for a family’s future.