meet a pro bono partner
Vinson & Elkins LLP
- Q: Why did you join Tahirih’s Pro Bono Network?
- A: On my first day as an attorney, I received an email describing Tahirih's need for pro bono attorneys and couldn't ignore it. I was nervous taking on such an important case so early in my career, but Tahirih promised the opportunity to take the lead on challenging work, mentored by knowledgeable attorneys. Only after jumping on board did I really learn how much incredible work Tahirih is doing, and I'm so glad to be a small part of it.
- Q: Share a highlight from a pro bono case with Tahirih.
- A: During the summer of 2017, my client finally received permission to work in the United States. Although we're waiting on decisions for her other applications, it has been inspirational to watch my client reunite with her family and grow as a person. She has faced challenges and personal losses with grace and resilience that few could match.
- Q: How has your pro bono service impacted you?
- A: My client has endured more in her young life than most people do in a lifetime. Seeing her persistence and hope makes me grateful to live in the United States, and encourages me to continue working so that she and others in her situation can remain here. My pro bono work has also opened my eyes to the dire need for attorneys to assist in immigration proceedings, which can be complicated and scary for so many young women simply trying to find safety.
Do Something!Please join us as a pro bono partner or volunteer today! Your time and talents can truly make a difference.
meet more pro bono partners
Meghan Leibold LidsterStaff AttorneyRichards Kibbee & OrbeIt has been humbling to work with a client who, despite extreme hardship in her past, has been able to increasingly open up to me.
Lindsay Wright BrettAssociate AttorneyBaker & McKenzie LLPThe women and children I've worked with over the years inspire me to take on new cases.
Alicia Balthazar, Deborah Wei, Maria A. Arboleda, & Marta ThompsonHogan Lovells US LLPRealizing the impact of the case’s outcome not just for our client but for her son, shows how these cases can be completely life changing for a family’s future.