meet a pro bono partner
Covington & Burling LLP
- Q: Why did you join Tahirih’s Pro Bono Network?
- A: My goals in pursuing a career as an attorney have always included pro bono work in the area of women's rights and gender issues. Achieving that goal can require some creativity, as my transactional practice does not always lend itself to the types of direct service work that often come to mind when we talk about pro bono work. The Tahirih Justice Center offers me the opportunity to work directly with women in need without necessarily leveraging litigation skills, which is perfect for me. Further, I have the utmost respect and appreciation for Tahirih’s history and mission. My colleagues and I have the privilege of spending time with my client one-on-one, getting to understand her situation and her concerns on a personal level, so that we can help her achieve her legal goals in the manner that is most suited to her priorities. It's deeply personal and rewarding work, and a welcome change from my usual transactional work.
- Q: Share a highlight from a pro bono case with Tahirih.
- A: The client I am currently working with is a survivor of sex trafficking and domestic violence in her country of origin. She has such a positive perspective on life, despite it all. She recently gave birth to her second son with her husband here in the United States. It was so rewarding to see her and her new baby for the first time, to see how much she (and her two-year-old daughter) adores him, after working with her for several months. The healthy and happy delivery of her son feels like a good omen for our continued legal work together!
- Q: How has your pro bono service impacted you?
- A: My pro bono work through Tahirih and other pro bono partner organizations reminds me of how many resources we have at our disposal at big law firms and how important it is to make those resources available to underserved clients. It is humbling to work with clients who reflect such hope and optimism in the face of hardship, and truly an honor to help them reach a better place. It's also just fun to be able to connect with such resilient and strong women!
Do Something!Please join us as a pro bono partner or volunteer today! Your time and talents can truly make a difference.
meet more pro bono partners
Staff AttorneyRichards Kibbee & OrbeIt has been humbling to work with a client who, despite extreme hardship in her past, has been able to increasingly open up to me.
Associate AttorneyBaker & McKenzie LLPThe women and children I've worked with over the years inspire me to take on new cases.
Hogan Lovells US LLPRealizing the impact of the case’s outcome not just for our client but for her son, shows how these cases can be completely life changing for a family’s future.