meet a pro bono partner
Latham & Watkins LLP
- Q: Why did you join Tahirih’s Pro Bono Network?
- A: My first U visa case was during a law school clinic where I helped a client file for adjustment of status and helped her family file for derivative U visas. Getting to help people who could not help themselves was such a life-changing experience that, when I joined Latham, I knew the only pro bono work I wanted to do was immigration-related. I took on my first case with Tahirih a few months later and am now working on my second.
- Q: Share a highlight from a pro bono case with Tahirih.
- A: After our client and her children received T visas, we worked with the International Organization for Migration to help bring her children to the United States. On the day of their arrival, we went with our client to the airport and watched her greet her children after they had been apart for three years. To help reunite a family and to see the looks of happiness on everyone’s faces as they saw each other for the first time in years was so touching and reminded us why we do this work.
- Q: How has your pro bono service impacted you?
- A: Being able to do pro bono work has been a main focus of mine since I started practicing law because I know the importance of giving back. Pro bono service has been such a rewarding part of my career, allowing me the opportunity to serve those who are less fortunate and less knowledgeable about the law than I am and providing me with countless opportunities to take initiative and ownership over my matters and make a real difference.
Do Something!Please join us as a pro bono partner or volunteer today! Your time and talents can truly make a difference.
meet more pro bono partners
PartnerStinson Leonard Street LLPMy case has given me a new understanding of the challenges facing women and children navigating the immigration system.
AssociateCovington & Burling LLPIt is humbling to work with clients who reflect hope and optimism in the face of hardship, and an honor to help them reach a better place.
Litigation AssociateVinson & Elkins LLPMy pro bono work has opened my eyes to the dire need for attorneys to assist in immigration proceedings.