meet a pro bono partner
Poole Law Center
- Q: Why did you join Tahirih's Pro Bono Network?
- A: I grew up in Florida watching my mother help women and children, first with after-school programs, then as an officer in the Salvation Army, and finally as the Executive Director of a rape and abuse crisis center. In law school, I witnessed firsthand the compassion and talent of Tahirih's Anne Chandler as she oversaw the work of UHLC's immigration clinic. As humans, we can really treat each other awful sometimes – the opportunity to undue or overcome even just a bit of that while working with such compassionate, talented, genuine people could not be discarded.
- Q: Share a highlight from a pro bono case with Tahirih.
- A: What people can persevere through never ceases to amaze me. I get to work with the sweetest mother, who despite everything she has suffered, including being moved from shelter to shelter with two disabled children under 4 years of age, remains the most joyful, hopeful ray of light in my week. I also have the privilege of watching another young girl escape horrible atrocities by family to grow into the most delightful young woman with a new grip on life and her promising future. I have nothing to do with whatever inside them makes them the strong people they are, but I am so proud of them and so honored to get to be a part of their amazing story.
- Q: How has your pro bono service impacted you?
- A: First and foremost, perspective. It can be easy to carve out a life in the Houston metroplex that is a relatively sheltered, privileged existence, with “#firstworldproblems.” Being unaware of what people are going through around us obviously does nothing to serve those around us, but more importantly, it does nothing to serve ourselves, our kids, our future, our nation, our world, and our purpose and existence on this planet. For me, that is the primary takeaway: I have been placed into a particular place and time and provided certain opportunities and talents – to not connect the two is a disservice to myself and my community.
Do Something!Please join us as a pro bono partner or volunteer today! Your time and talents can truly make a difference.
meet more pro bono partners
AssociateSidley Austin LLPWhile I have worked on a number of different pro bono projects, working with my client at Tahirih has been the most rewarding by far.
AssociateMayer Brown LLPWorking on pro bono cases has shown me how important it is for lawyers to donate their time – even just a little bit – to helping other.
Associate AttorneyKirkland & Ellis LLPListening to the testimonies of my Tahirih client and her tales of domestic violence has really given me meaning as an attorney.