meet a pro bono partner
- Q: Why did you join Tahirih’s Pro Bono Network?
- A: When I arrived at Baker McKenzie, the firm's strong partnership and continuous involvement with Tahirih provided the opportunity to get involved with meaningful pro bono work right away. I heard my new colleagues describe the deep humility they felt as they represented these women who have shown such resilience in the face of so much hardship. I wanted to have a direct and dramatic impact on the lives of my clients, and I knew that working on U visa cases with Tahirih would give me that chance
- Q: Share a highlight from a pro bono case with Tahirih.
- A: I sat down to read the background information for a new U visa case, and the hardships this client endured over the span of two decades were so horrifically traumatic that I had to stop reading and step away for a moment. I remember the moment it hit me that this client had actually lived through everything I was reading, and that if they could be strong enough to tell their story, I could be strong enough to listen. When I met them, I was blown away by how outgoing and good-natured they were, even after everything they had been through. It was humbling to realize how resilient people can be, and it gave me a deep respect for the important work Tahirih's attorneys do on a daily basis.
- Q: How has your pro bono service impacted you?
- A: My pro bono service through Tahirih has inspired me to more vocally advocate for disadvantaged immigrants and refugees who have demonstrated so much strength and who profess so much gratitude and loyalty to our country. It has brought humanity to the statistics that dominate much of the public debate, and it has given me perspective on the problems I face in my own day-to-day life. I has also made me a better lawyer by expanding my knowledge of the law in an area to which I would otherwise have little exposure. It's been an incredibly valuable experience.
Do Something!Please join us as a pro bono partner or volunteer today! Your time and talents can truly make a difference.
meet more pro bono partners
Litigation AssociateVinson & Elkins LLPMy pro bono work has opened my eyes to the dire need for attorneys to assist in immigration proceedings.
Associate AttorneyVenable LLPIt has been incredibly rewarding to see my client gain confidence in herself. I am her lawyer, but she is also her own advocate.
Immigration AttorneyLaw Office of Maria SegarraMy life is fuller and more meaningful because of my Tahirih clients.