meet a pro bono partner
Baker Botts LLP
- Q: Why did you join Tahirih’s Pro Bono Network?
- A: A few of my colleagues at Baker Botts had already taken a case for a Tahirih client and they wanted a litigator to join the team. After learning about the client, who had suffered domestic abuse, had been a victim of sex trafficking, and who had been unable to obtain help from police in her country due to her status as a woman and racial minority, I felt compelled to help in any way I could.
- Q: Share a highlight from a pro bono case with Tahirih.
- A: The highlight of our case was definitely our client’s hearing before the Immigration Judge. Our client had tried for years to report stories of her abuse to the police in her country, but she never received any help. On the day of the hearing, she courageously told her story before the Immigration Judge and did not back down when cross-examined by the government. I was so proud of her strength and composure.
- Q: How has your pro bono service impacted you?
- A: My pro bono service has strengthened my skills as a litigator and an advocate. I’ve been able to get the kind of courtroom experience that many young lawyers at big firms don’t get in their first years practice. But most importantly, my experience with Tahirih has opened my eyes to the global issue of violence against women and the courage that it takes to escape that violence. I’m hoping to be able to continue to help women facing violence to find safety.
Do Something!Please join us as a pro bono partner or volunteer today! Your time and talents can truly make a difference.
meet more pro bono partners
AssociateSidley Austin LLPWhile I have worked on a number of different pro bono projects, working with my client at Tahirih has been the most rewarding by far.
AssociateMayer Brown LLPWorking on pro bono cases has shown me how important it is for lawyers to donate their time – even just a little bit – to helping other.
Associate AttorneyKirkland & Ellis LLPListening to the testimonies of my Tahirih client and her tales of domestic violence has really given me meaning as an attorney.