meet a pro bono partner
- Q: Why did you join Tahirih's Pro Bono Network?
- A: As a stay-at-home mom, I was looking to get back into the practice of law in a meaningful way. Tahirih offered the chance to truly make a difference in the lives of women and children. Moreover, having never practiced immigration law before, Tahirih provided great training and mentorship opportunities.
- Q: Share a highlight from a pro bono case with Tahirih.
- A: I will never forget my first client, a young woman from Pakistan who was abused by her husband and was essentially a slave to his family. I was always amazed at her strength and perseverance, especially when she was required to recount over and over again all that had happened to her. When her VAWA petition was approved, I remember calling her and hearing in her voice how elated she was at the promise of a new future; she just kept saying "thank you" and "may God bless you" over and over again. Her father even sent his thanks from Pakistan! It was hard not to be humbled by how much the freedom from her husband and the ability to legally stay in this country meant to her.
- Q: How has your pro bono service impacted you?
- A: The impact of my pro bono work with Tahirih extends beyond the satisfaction of helping a client and winning a case. Working with these amazing women instills a sense of gratitude and recognition of all the opportunities available solely because I had the good fortune of being born in this country. Also, it is an amazing experience to see the impact of your work first hand and how it directly helps women leave their violent situation and regain independence. Additionally, as a result of great training and mentorship, I continue to learn and practice a new area of law with confidence.
Do Something!Please join us as a pro bono partner or volunteer today! Your time and talents can truly make a difference.
meet more pro bono partners
Associate AttorneyKirkland & Ellis LLPMy pro bono service has reminded me that there are a lot of people out there who desperately need the help of attorneys like myself.
AssociateSidley Austin LLPWhile I have worked on a number of different pro bono projects, working with my client at Tahirih has been the most rewarding by far.
AssociateMayer Brown LLPWorking on pro bono cases has shown me how important it is for lawyers to donate their time – even just a little bit – to helping other.