We’re making our list and checking it twice
Jump into the final month of the year with 31 ways to make a difference!
Take a little time each day to join us in your own way. Whether it’s clicking a button, donating $5, or getting your hands dirty, your support during this giving season will make a difference in the lives of women and girls fleeing violence all over the world. Thank you for your commitment to equality and ensuring that everyone may live in safety and with dignity.
- Like and follow us. Give us a thumbs up on Facebook (Tahirih Justice Center) and Twitter (@tahirihjustice), then encourage your friends and family to do the same. The more the merrier!
- Help us expand. Tahirih is growing! Support us in our efforts to open new offices, double our policy advocacy, and educate and train more front line professionals by donating to our Ready to Soar Campaign. When she soars, we all soar.
- Spread our message. See something you like on our page? Moved by a particular message or campaign? Don’t be shy – share it with friends and family via email, social media, or even text message!
- Leave a legacy. Help ensure the long-term sustainability and goals of Tahirih through planned gifts such as bequests, policy or account beneficiary, or charitable trust. No matter the amount, your legacy will sustain Tahirih’s groundbreaking work for years to come.
- Subscribe and share. Tahirih’s YouTube channel features client stories, celebrity appearances, real-time responses on current events, and more. Stay up-to-date and bring others along with a quick subscribe and share today.
- Ask for an impact gift. Worried your great aunt will give you another pajama set you won’t wear? Ask her instead to give on your behalf to Tahirih and rest easy knowing every dollar of that gift will change the lives of women and girls fleeing violence.
- Lend a hand. Take a few hours and volunteer to serve at your local Tahirih office, providing administrative support such as client file management and data entry.
- Do a ‘thon. Stay active and give back by organizing a 5K or dance-a-thon for Tahirih! Set a goal and ask family, friends, and colleagues to join you in raising funds for courageous immigrant women and girls seeking access to justice.
- Team Up. Older sister always taking your stuff? Younger brother constantly playing the copycat game? This year, challenge them to a friendly fundraising competition. First one to raise $500 for Tahirih gets to pick the next movie night.
- Organize. Gather your family, friends, and colleagues for a donation drive! Tahirih clients are always in need of school supplies, clothing, gas cards, etc. Drop off donations at any local office location.
- Provide transportation. Lack of transportation is a major barrier to clients accessing necessary services like medical or legal appointments. Donate a few hours of your day to help our clients get where they need to go.
- Party with Purpose. Hosting a holiday event? Instead of gifts and treats, ask friends to bring a donation to Tahirih, remembering that the gift of hope lasts longer than the gift of cake.
- Celebrate your birthday in style. Are you a December baby? Perfect timing! Use your special day to host a birthday fundraiser on Facebook. Hint: hitting a goal of $1,500 will train 200 pro bono attorneys to protect women and girls in court.
- Use your skills and build more. Tahirih’s Pro Bono Network saves lives every day by providing quality service for free. As a medical, legal or social services volunteer, your professional services will help us turn every $1 donated into $4 of impact.
- Advocate for our youth. In the United States, forced and child marriage are serious but neglected problems. As many as 3,000 known or suspected cases of forced marriage were encountered by service providers in the U.S. over a period of just two years, many involving girls under age 18. Help stop child marriage by calling your governor and telling them you stand firmly against the state laws that allow children to be married.
- Learn more. Have questions about the epidemic of violence against women happening all over the world? Learn the facts, read the stats, hear the stories. The more you know…
- Book club it up. As a law student, Tahirih CEO Layli-Miller Muro heard the case of a woman named Fauziya who fled forced marriage and female genital mutilation and was being held in a U.S. detention center. Layli argued the case before the highest immigration court and Fauziya was granted asylum. Together they wrote, “Do They Hear You When You Cry”, and using 100% of the proceeds, Layli created the Tahirih Justice Center. Gather some friends and read her incredible journey to justice today.
- Retweet us. One retweet may not seem like it makes a difference, but spreading Tahirih’s message and standing up for equality takes a village. Join us in our push to serve brave women fighting to live in safety and with dignity by sharing our tweets with your friends and followers.
- Shop to save a life. Imagine fleeing violence in the middle of the night, without time to pack your belongings. This is a situation many Tahirih clients face. Each local office maintains an Amazon Wish List to help new clients meet their basic needs. Take a look at each, as our clients’ needs often vary depending on location and season.
- Smile at us. You shop. Amazon gives! Donate .5% of your eligible Amazon purchases to Tahirih Justice Center. All you have to do is designate Tahirih as your charity of choice.
- Work to give. Workplace giving is a convenient way for you to support Tahirih. Consider directing a portion of your paycheck to the Tahirih Justice Center, or setting up Tahirih as a giving option for your employer.
- Honor the memory. A memorial or honorary gift is a meaningful way to show appreciation for the important people in your life, or perpetuate the values and ideals that guided someone’s life. These gifts can be individually tailored to fulfill the wishes of the donor and/or the honoree, and Tahirih’s development staff is here to help you design your gift in the most meaningful manner possible.
- Show how big your heart is. In this charitable season, Tahirih invites you to participate in our Bighearted Campaign, a three-week challenge taking place November 27 – December 17 with the goal of raising $200,000. We can’t do it without you. Now more than ever, we need to show how big our hearts are and how deeply we believe in the right of every woman and girl to live in safety and with dignity.
- Give monthly. Choose the most efficient way to foster lasting change in communities, courts, and Congress — a monthly gift. Your monthly gift, no matter the level, allows you to provide a steady and reliable source of support to courageous immigrant women and girls fleeing violence. The path to justice for a survivor of violence is often arduous and long, but your generous, recurring gift will help each woman and girl who comes through our doors rise above violence and soar to new heights.
- Work with us. At Tahirih, our lifesaving work is fueled by committed staff in Baltimore, Greater DC, Houston, and the San Francisco Bay Area, and we care deeply about each team member’s professional development and growth. If you’re ready to join a team of diverse, accomplished, and driven professionals who are passionate about ending violence against women and girls, apply now.
- Sponsor a gala. Tahirih hosts several galas across the country each year, and we are always looking for individual and/or corporate sponsors to fuel our life-saving programs. Sign on to sponsor a gala and craft your partnership in a way that meets your needs.
- Speak for those who cannot. Proficient interpreters commonly provide interpretation for client meetings with the legal and social services teams. Assignments have included translating informational flyers about Tahirih and client documents. Donate a few hours each month to give a voice to those who have all but lost their own.
- Use your time for good. As you connect with family and friends this holiday season, take a moment to share the mission of Tahirih by talking about your interest and investment in our organization.
- Be inspired. Tahirih is a non-profit organization inspired by the spiritual principles of the Bahá’í Faith and the belief that the achievement of full equality between women and men is necessary for society to progress. We work to obtain legal and social justice for women and girls as a critical step in making this equality a reality. Named after Tahirih, a Bahá’í heroine who lived in the mid-1800s, our logo is an illustration of a bird in flight, symbolizing a foundational Tahirih principle, which is derived from Bahá’í writings:
“The world of humanity is possessed of two wings: the male and the female. So long as these two wings are not equivalent in strength, the bird will not fly.”
- Advocate for women. Tahirih’s advocacy for courageous immigrant women and girls in communities, courts, and Congress depends on your support. Subscribe to our newsletter and receive alerts for which you can immediately take action.
- Do the New Year right. On New Year’s Eve, Tahirih will celebrate 20 years of serving 22,000 women and girls with the 20 For 20 For 20 Campaign! Our goal is to raise $20,000 in the final 20 hours of the year. Celebrate the start of something new with and oldie-but-goodie – a donation!