meet a pro bono partner
Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- Q: Why did you join Tahirih’s Pro Bono Network?
- A: I worked as a student attorney in the Human Trafficking Clinic while attending the University of Michigan Law School. My time in the Human Trafficking Clinic was very rewarding, and I graduated law school with the hopes of doing similar work through pro bono projects as an attorney. When the chance to do so through Tahirih Houston arose, I jumped at the opportunity.
- Q: Share a highlight from a pro bono case with Tahirih.
- A: I met with my client to go over her final U visa application before submitting it, and she brought her children with her to the meeting since schools were closed in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey. Showing my client the final product of our efforts and seeing her overwhelming gratitude made all of the work done to put her application together worth it. It was also impactful to see the family for which she was fighting to stay in the U.S.
- Q: How has your pro bono service impacted you?
- A: My pro bono service has reminded me that there are a lot of people out there who desperately need the help of attorneys like myself. I feel connected to my current client and am invested in the outcome of her case. Even though I'm a tax attorney and not an immigration attorney, my time with Tahirih has reminded me that, regardless of what area of law one practices, at the heart of what attorneys do is advocate for and advise their clients. It's been a privilege to advocate for mine.
Do Something!Please join us as a pro bono partner or volunteer today! Your time and talents can truly make a difference.
meet more pro bono partners
Staff AttorneyRichards Kibbee & OrbeIt has been humbling to work with a client who, despite extreme hardship in her past, has been able to increasingly open up to me.
Associate AttorneyBaker & McKenzie LLPThe women and children I've worked with over the years inspire me to take on new cases.
Hogan Lovells US LLPRealizing the impact of the case’s outcome not just for our client but for her son, shows how these cases can be completely life changing for a family’s future.