Hundreds of organizations around the country are mobilizing to support the thousands of Afghans seeking refuge in the U.S. in the wake of the crisis in Afghanistan.
Tahirih has launched the Afghan Asylum Project to support Afghan citizens who recently arrived in the United States. Our dedicated, toll-free helpline will connect Afghans seeking assistance with information, resources, and local organizations who are providing on-the-ground support. In addition, trauma-informed Tahirih staff will be conducting legal screenings with anyone presenting gender-based asylum claims for potential legal representation by Tahirih staff and Tahirih’s pro bono network.
- Tahirih’s Afghan Asylum Line: 888-991-0852
- Open Monday to Friday 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. EST
- Pashto and Dari interpreters available
Please spread the word about this important resource and consider making a donation to Tahirih today to support these critical efforts.
Below is a short list of additional resources for those who want to help with the relief efforts. Please note that this list is not exhaustive and there may be other ways to support refugees in your local community.
National & Greater DC-Baltimore Region
- Center for Gender and Refugee Studies: Support Afghans Seeking Refuge
- HIAS: Afghan Refugee Crisis: How You Can Help
- Protect Afghan Women
- Lutheran Social Services National Capital Area (LSSNCA) is welcoming Afghan refugees in the area. Volunteer with them | Welcome Afghan Allies | Apply to become a foster parent
- Pashto and Dari INTERPRETERS are needed to assist Afghans arriving for resettlement at Dulles International Airport in Virginia. Please email: [email protected] with subject line “Afghan Interpreters”
- Pashto and Dari INTERPRETERS are needed immediately at NOVA Community College in Annandale, Virginia. Volunteers are asked to show up ASAP at 8333 Little River Turnpike, Annandale, VA.
- Virginia Department of Social Services: Refugee Services
- Catholic Charities Atlanta: How You Can Help Refugees from Afghanistan
- Georgia Asylum and Immigration Network (GAIN): Project Ally
- New American Pathways
- International Rescue Committee: How to Help our Afghan Neighbors in Georgia
- Houston Immigration Legal Services Collaborative: How to Support Afghan Refugees Coming to Houston
- YMCA International Services: Assistance for Afghan Refugees
- Refugee Services of Texas