Protecting courageous immigrant women and girls from violence is essential to the progress of society. We know that when a woman or girl rejects violence and oppression, she changes the world — one person, one family, and one community at a time.
Our 2015 Impact Report is a testament to this truth, and we are so grateful for people like you who give our clients wings.
Your support makes every one of our success stories possible.
With you by our side, in 2015, we:
- Provided free legal services to 972 immigrant women and girls and 1,038 of their family members—clearing obstacles to safety, dignity, and freedom for 2,010 individuals.
- Connected 644 clients and family members with vital social services, including emergency shelter, food and clothing, and healthcare.
- Conducted 187 trainings and events that reached 8,754 community members and frontline professionals, including attorneys, judges, police officers, and doctors.
- Enlisted 1,949 attorneys at 337 law firms and corporations in our Pro Bono Network to leverage donated resources and maximize our capacity.
- Defended hard-won legislative victories and shifted public policy to reduce threats to the safety and dignity of immigrant women and girls in the United States.
We invite you read our full 2015 Impact Report to learn more about all that we accomplished together. You can also find extended coverage our collective accomplishments in our online newsroom, including an in-depth look at how a spike in gender-based violence in Central America led to a dramatic increase in our asylum caseload, and an interactive timeline of our advocacy to end the unjust detention of Central American mothers and children on the run from violence.
As we look forward to accomplishing even more in 2016, it is clear that our work on behalf of women and girls fleeing violence is desperately needed. Because of war, persecution, and global conflict, the world is facing the worst refugee crisis it has seen since World War II. The Unites States is a beacon of hope for many, but pervasive anti-immigrant rhetoric and our policy of jailing refugee women and children at our border does not reflect our nation’s values.
Thank you for continuing to stand with us against injustice.
Thank you for being there for women and girls with nowhere else to turn.
Thank you for never giving up.
Please know that you are making an incredible impact, not only in the lives of our clients, but on the legal system and in the world at this pivotal moment in history.
We are so excited to see what we will accomplish together in 2016.
Tahirih Justice Center
Founder and Executive Director
Read the full report