By now you’ve seen news reports about the government’s “zero tolerance” policy, which has resulted in the criminal prosecution of many individuals seeking asylum. You’ve heard about Attorney General Jeff Sessions issuing a legal decision that further narrows the path to asylum for women seeking protection from severe domestic violence. And most recently you’ve witnessed the President signing an Executive Order in response to public outcry about the administration’s practice of separating children from their parents stating that it is “the policy of this Administration to maintain family unity, including by detaining alien families together.” This substitutes one inhumane practice for another and leaves many questions unanswered about the fate of children already separated from their parents as well as the processes moving forward.
The Tahirih Justice Center condemns family separation and detention and we will continue to fight for women and children fleeing violence by conducting policy advocacy, exploring impact litigation, and aggressively engaging in media outreach.
Now more than ever, we need your help to stand with refugee women and families who come to the United States seeking safety, only to face further trauma, uncertainty, and injustice. We must work together to ensure our justice system honors our nation’s proud history, enshrined in U.S. law, of offering protection to women, men, and children fleeing persecution and violence.
Many people are asking: “What can I do to help?” Your engagement is critical – and there is something that everyone can do. Please, take action today. You can:
- Make a donation to the Tahirih Justice Center which helps women and girls fleeing gender-based violence and advocates on their behalf in communities, courts, and Congress.
- Follow the Tahirih Justice Center on social media to stay up-to-date on breaking news and ways to get involved.
- Download our Digital Toolkit featuring graphics, social media posts, emails, and talking points to use the power of your voice and your social network to increase awareness, raise funds, and motivate your friends and family to join Team Tahirih.
- Sign our petition to tell Attorney General Jeff Sessions that victims of severe domestic violence deserve a fair chance to seek safety on our shores.
- Contact your Senators and Representative to express your concern for asylum seekers fleeing gender-based violence. You can find your congressperson’s contact information here, and use the following script if it helps you: “Hello. My name is _______ and I live in (City, State). I am calling to ask Senator/Representative ________ to oppose family detention and separation at our southern border, and Attorney General Sessions’ recent decision on asylum for domestic violence survivors. Thank you.”
With gratitude for your partnership,
Chief of Policy