Need help? / ¿Necesita ayuda? / Besoin d’aide?
Tahirih’s Houston office will be closed due to Hurricane Harvey until further notice but can still be reached by phone at 713-496-0100. If you are in urgent need of help, please see below for emergency resources:
- Policía, bomberos, ambulancia / Police, Firefighters, Ambulance: 911 or 713-884-3131
- ¿Atrapado? / Trapped? If you or someone that you know needs to be rescued, fill out this form. ADDRESS MUST BE INCLUDED SO IT CAN UPLOAD TO GOOGLE MAPS. Rescuers are using this system to rescue people. Multiple rescue groups INCLUDING the Cajun Navy are using this system.
- Harris County Office of Emergency Management: 713-881-3100
- TEXAS Línea de Asistencia de Emergencias / Texas Emergency Assistance Hotline: 1-877-541-7905
- Harris County Evacuation Assistance Registration: 311 in Houston
- Local American Red Cross: 713-526-8300
- Catholic Charities Flood Relief Hotline: 713.874.6664. Please leave a message and a member of the Disaster Recovery team will respond within 72 hours. More disaster relief resources.
- Lista de albergues Huracán Harvey / List of Hurricane Harvey Shelters
- Emergency Shelter for homeless individuals (via Coalition for the Homeless)
- Good source of accurate weather
- Houston Area Women’s Center Domestic Violence Hotline: 713-528-2121
- United We Dream’s resource list
- The Partnership for Inclusive Disaster Strategies hotline for People with Disabilities during Harvey: 800-626-4959
Houston Shelter List
If you have been displaced by Harvey and are seeking shelter, here is a list of some locations:
- George R. Brown Convention Center, 1001 Avenida De Las Americas (VERIFICADO No piden ID);
- Denver Harbor MSC, 6402 Market St., 77020;
- Fifth Ward MSC, 4014 Market St, 77020;
- Sunny Side MSC, 9314 Cullen, 77051;
- Third Ward MSC, 3611 Ennis, 77004;
- West End MSC, 170 Heights Blvd, 77007;
- John Peavy Senior Center, 3814 Market Street, 77002;
- Kashmere Garden Branch Library, 5411 Pardee, 77026;
- Fallwood Church, 12512 Walters, 77014;
- Lyndale United Church, 503 Reeid, 77002;
- MD Anderson YMCA, 705 Cavalcade, 77009;
- Trotter Family YMCA, 1331 Augusta Dr., 77057;
- Community Faith Church, 1024 Pinemont, 77091;
- MO Campbell Education Center, 1865 Aldine Bender, 77032;
- Northshore High School 9th Grade Campus, 13501 Hollypark Dr;
- Black Middle School, 1575 Chantilly, 77018;
- Cullen Middle School, 6900 Scott Street, 77021;
- Deady Middle School, 2500 Broadway Street, 77012;
- Forest Brook, 7525 Tidwell Road, 77016;
- Patrick Henry Middle School, 10702 E. Hardy, 77093;
- Key Middle School, 4000 Kelley Street, 77026;
- Lawson Middle School, 14000 Stancliff St, 77045;
- Revere Middle School, 10502 Briar Forest Dr, 77042;
- Sterling HS, 11625 Martindale Rd, 77048;
- Wisdom HS, 6529 Beverly Hill Lane, 77057;
- Wheatley HS, 4801 Providence, 77020;
- Westside HS, 14201 Briar Forest, 77077.
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Hurricane Harvey Rumor Control
Rumor: I’m an undocumented immigrant, I cannot go to a shelter because I will be reported to ICE or CBP.
Fact: U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has stated that it is not conducting immigration enforcement at relief sites such as shelters or food banks. In the rare instance where local law enforcement informs ICE of a serious criminal alien at a relief site that presents a public safety threat, ICE will make a determination on a case-by-case basis about the appropriate enforcement actions. More information is available at U.S. Customs and Border Protection and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) joint statement. The Federal Government strongly encourages all persons to follow the guidance of local officials and seek shelter regardless of their immigration status.
Most shelters are managed by local communities, the Red Cross, and other voluntary agencies. American Red Cross’ humanitarian mission is to feed, shelter, and provide other forms of support without regard to race, religion, or citizenship status. The Red Cross will not ask people to show any form of identification in order to stay in their shelters. In order to receive some Red Cross services, such as meeting with a caseworker to facilitate disaster recovery, they will need to verify a person’s pre-disaster address. For people who don’t have government-issued identification, the Red Cross can usually do this through alternative means, such as a copy of a utility bill.