One of the Tahirih Justice Center’s core values is a commitment to excellence. Over the past few months, that excellence has been recognized with several awards and other recognitions from the community:
- An article authored by Tahirih Founder and Executive Director Layli Miller-Muro about how Tahirih leverages the donated services of volunteer attorneys, “The Power of Many,” was published on Nov. 17, 2010, in the Stanford Social Innovation Review. This award-winning magazine is published quarterly, covering best strategies for nonprofits, foundations, and socially responsible businesses.
- Tahirih was one of four finalists for the 2010 NPower Greater D.C. Region Technology Innovation Awards presented by Accenture and was recognized at the Celebration of Technology Reception on November 4th. Operations Associate Shirey Baig authored Tahirih’s application and attended the reception to showcase their implementation of our new online case management system, focusing on how it enabled them to integrate their client records to better provide holistic services and how it transformed their ability to track and measure our outputs and report efficiently to multiple grantors.
- Virginia Sexual and Domestic Violence Action Alliance will honor Executive Director Layli Miller-Muro for her work in service to others on Dec. 4, 2010. Layli will also keynote their 2010 Gala.
- At The Feminist Press’ 40th Anniversary Gala on Oct. 18, 2010, Executive Director Layli Miller-Muro was honored as one of 40 Feminists Under 40: The Future of Feminism.
- The Meyer Foundation awarded Executive Director Layli Miller-Muro the Meyer Exponent Award for Excellence in Non-Profit Management on Sept. 28, 2010. This stamp of approval from one of the most well-known Washington, D.C. foundations recognizes Tahirih as an innovative, well-run, and well-regarded organization. Layli and her four fellow awardees were also recognized in the Washington Post.
- Layli Miller-Muro was recognized as one of Greater Washington’s top female leaders with a Washington SmartCEO 2010 BRAVA! Women Business Achievement Award in July 2010. These women were celebrated as exemplary leaders within their companies and communities at large, described by SmartCEO as “encouraging their staffs and peers to become more involved in giving back to those in need, mentoring fellow leaders, and strategically setting up their organizations for tremendous growth and success.”