meet a pro bono partner
Christine E. White
- Q: Why did you join Tahirih’s Pro Bono Network?
- A: Tahirih held an informational lunch at Venable a few months after I began at the firm, and I was inspired by the work they do to help immigrant women in the Baltimore community. Also, the opportunity to have guidance and input from a Tahirih attorney while working on a case helped ease my apprehensions about venturing into a new area of law.
- Q: Share a highlight from a pro bono case with Tahirih.
- A: Another associate from Venable and I recently secured asylum for a client after the government informed us right before the hearing began that it was not going to contest the petition. Seeing our client’s reaction when we told her at that very moment that she was going to be able to remain in the United States and bring her daughter here to live with her was indescribable. During the four months leading up to the hearing, we formed a team with our client and the interpreter, and even though we often had to address difficult topics during our meetings, we always had a terrific working relationship. There was something truly special about the celebratory lunch we had right after the hearing because a huge weight had been lifted off of our client’s shoulders, and her future was forever changed in such a positive way.
- Q: How has your pro bono service impacted you?
- A: To know that we helped our client achieve an outcome that she might not have been able to get without the assistance of counsel is incredibly rewarding. I am very grateful for the trust our client put in us and for having the opportunity to make such a positive difference in her life.
Do Something!Please join us as a pro bono partner or volunteer today! Your time and talents can truly make a difference.
meet more pro bono partners
Meghan Leibold LidsterStaff AttorneyRichards Kibbee & OrbeIt has been humbling to work with a client who, despite extreme hardship in her past, has been able to increasingly open up to me.
Lindsay Wright BrettAssociate AttorneyBaker & McKenzie LLPThe women and children I've worked with over the years inspire me to take on new cases.
Alicia Balthazar, Deborah Wei, Maria A. Arboleda, & Marta ThompsonHogan Lovells US LLPRealizing the impact of the case’s outcome not just for our client but for her son, shows how these cases can be completely life changing for a family’s future.