meet a pro bono partner
Hogan Lovells LLP
- Q: Why did you join Tahirih's Pro Bono Network?
- A: I am an ardent supporter of Tahirih's mission of assisting immigrant women facing unimaginable circumstances and abuse. Additionally, the legal work resonated with me: I had prior experience in women's rights advocacy and international human rights law, and Tahirih's activities represent a critical overlap of those two areas.
- Q: Share a highlight from a pro bono case with Tahirih.
- A: My first case with Tahirih involved a woman who had been lured to the United States under false pretenses only to become the victim of domestic violence, cruelly separated from her children, and fearful of calling the police to report the abuse for fear of deportation. My client's courage in coming forward enabled us to obtain a U visa for her and derivative visas for her children. The highlight was at long last meeting my client's daughter, who my client had not seen in eight years.
- Q: How has your Pro Bono service impacted you?
- A: My experience with Tahirih, especially working directly with clients, has made me a better advocate, in that I've learned important legal skills and substantive law. But more importantly, my experience with Tahirih has made me a better person: I have learned to listen more carefully, analyze more thoughtfully, and engage more compassionately.
Do Something!Please join us as a pro bono partner or volunteer today! Your time and talents can truly make a difference.
meet more pro bono partners
AssociateSidley Austin LLPWhile I have worked on a number of different pro bono projects, working with my client at Tahirih has been the most rewarding by far.
AssociateMayer Brown LLPWorking on pro bono cases has shown me how important it is for lawyers to donate their time – even just a little bit – to helping other.
Associate AttorneyKirkland & Ellis LLPListening to the testimonies of my Tahirih client and her tales of domestic violence has really given me meaning as an attorney.