meet a pro bono partner
Hogan Lovells LLP
- Q: Why did you join Tahirih's Pro Bono Network?
- A: I am an ardent supporter of Tahirih's mission of assisting immigrant women facing unimaginable circumstances and abuse. Additionally, the legal work resonated with me: I had prior experience in women's rights advocacy and international human rights law, and Tahirih's activities represent a critical overlap of those two areas.
- Q: Share a highlight from a pro bono case with Tahirih.
- A: My first case with Tahirih involved a woman who had been lured to the United States under false pretenses only to become the victim of domestic violence, cruelly separated from her children, and fearful of calling the police to report the abuse for fear of deportation. My client's courage in coming forward enabled us to obtain a U visa for her and derivative visas for her children. The highlight was at long last meeting my client's daughter, who my client had not seen in eight years.
- Q: How has your Pro Bono service impacted you?
- A: My experience with Tahirih, especially working directly with clients, has made me a better advocate, in that I've learned important legal skills and substantive law. But more importantly, my experience with Tahirih has made me a better person: I have learned to listen more carefully, analyze more thoughtfully, and engage more compassionately.
Do Something!Please join us as a pro bono partner or volunteer today! Your time and talents can truly make a difference.
meet more pro bono partners
AssociateLatham & Watkins LLPTo help reunite a family and see the looks of happiness on everyone's faces was so touching and reminded us why we do this work.
AssociateLatham & Watkins LLPWorking on my Tahirih case has made me a better attorney by improving my ability to empathize, think creatively, and overcome obstacles.
Associate AttorneyBaker McKenzieI was attracted to Tahirih because it provides services to a population of women and children that are especially vulnerable.