Website Tahirih Justice Center
Tahirih is recruiting for the full-time position of Immigration Staff Attorney to represent immigrant women residing in the Greater Houston area who have suffered sexual assault. This position will be based in the Houston, Texas office. This position is a one-year grant funded position with the possibility of renewal.
About the Tahirih Justice Center: The Tahirih Justice Center is a growing national non-profit organization that supports the courage of immigrant women and girls who refuse to be victims of violence by providing holistic legal services and advocacy in courts, Congress, and communities. Through pro bono holistic legal services, community outreach and education and nonpartisan public policy advocacy, Tahirih protects women and girls seeking protection from gender-based human rights abuses such as domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, female genital mutilation, honor crimes, and forced marriage. Tahirih is a Bahá’í-inspired organization and works to create a world where women and girls can live in safety and with dignity. Tahirih’s 70 employees work from offices in the DC metro area, Baltimore, Houston, and the San Francisco Bay Area.
• Advise, counsel and represent clients with immigration legal matters before the US Department of Homeland Security, immigration courts, family courts and/or juvenile court within the scope of Tahirih’s mission
• Mentor and train pro bono attorneys who co-counsel Tahirih cases
• Prepare and conduct outreach and education programs on immigration law and sexual assault to professionals and the community
• Attend and represent Tahirih in coalition meetings to network and build relationships with like-minded organizations
• Support effective project and grants management for funded projects
• Contribute to grant proposals, reports and periodic communications pieces
• Oversee and supervise legal interns
• Current bar membership in good standing in Texas
• Experience working with survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence and trauma
• Excellent legal analysis, written and oral advocacy and presentation skills
• Responsible, self-initiating, and focused, with proven ability to work independently and also collaboratively in a team-based decision-making environment
• Experience designing trainings and presenting to legal and non-legal audiences
• Meticulous organizational habits with an ability to manage large amounts of information, establish priorities, and meet deadlines
• Strong interpersonal skills & cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skills
• Fluency in Spanish (preferred)
• Commitment to Tahirih’s foundational values and mission, and demonstrated commitment to legal services, public interest law, and/or social justice.
• Understanding of the law firm and pro bono culture and previous work experience with recruiting volunteer attorneys a plus.
• Able to travel on occasion and attend functions from time to time outside regular business hours.
Annual salary and benefits: Competitive compensation depends on experience. Generous benefits include 15 days of vacation leave in the first year and 20 days thereafter with an additional week of paid vacation between Christmas and New Year’s; paid sick leave; fully-paid employee health, vision and dental insurance; a 401(k) retirement plan; flexible work schedules; and professional development including in-house training programs, staff enrichment retreats and other growth opportunities.
Submissions: Please email a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references to email@example.com with “Houston Staff Attorney” in the subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled, with an immediate start date. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply by Friday, January 12, 2018.
Please note: Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
The Tahirih Justice Center is an equal opportunity employer which does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, disability or veteran’s status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations. Tahirih’s policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment. Men are particularly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to SheivaH@tahirih.org