tahirihjustice Tahirih Justice Center
Our legal intern will advance legal protections for immigrant women and girls who are fleeing gender-based harms such as domestic violence, other forms of physical and sexual violence, honor based violence and/or forced marriage, and human trafficking. During the internship, said individual will assist the legal team with providing legal representation to immigrant women and girls in need of protection through the use of various available forms of relief for victims of gender-based violence including self-petitions under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), U visas for victims of crime, T visas for victims of human trafficking, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status applications for unaccompanied minor victims and asylum protection for victims of gender-based persecution.
- Interview clients
- Prepare immigration filings and other documents, draft briefs, and conduct research
- Research country conditions
- Provide support to supervising immigration attorney with pending cases as needed
- Enrollment in law school
- Excellent research, writing, and analytical skills
- Commitment to public interest law
- Language skills highly desired, particularly Spanish
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States
- Candidates must be available for at least 20 hours/week, and full-time availability is preferred
- Candidates must be available between 9 to 16 weeks
Please send your cover letter, resume, short writing sample (2-5 pages), and a list of 3 references to email@example.com with “Houston Legal Services – Summer 2017 in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org