Tahirih Justice Center seeks an Immigration & Family Law Paralegal to provide administrative and paralegal support to the legal team in the representation of immigrant women and children fleeing gender violence in asylum cases, claims brought under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), and other related immigration matters, including T and U visas, and in family law-based claims, such as divorce, custody, support matters and Special Immigrant Juvenile Status. The position reports to the Immigration and Family Law Supervising Attorney. The ideal candidate is an entry-level professional with a minimum of two to three years of humanitarian immigration services and one year of family law experience. The position is based in Falls Church, Virginia.
About Tahirih Justice Center: Tahirih is a national non-profit organization with offices in Falls Church, VA; Houston, TX; Baltimore, MD; and the San Francisco Bay Area, CA. Through holistic services and public policy advocacy, Tahirih protects courageous women and girls from gender-based human rights abuses such as domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, female genital mutilation, and forced marriage. A Bahá’í-inspired organization, Tahirih works to create a world where women and girls can live in safety and with dignity.
Provide immigration and family law program support (75%):
- Screen potential clients and provide them with information and referrals
- Conduct intakes
- Prepare and draft immigration and family law petitions, gather supporting evidence, and discovery materials, assemble application packets and filings.
- Draft correspondence
- Schedule client meetings
- Provide Spanish interpretation and translation as needed
- Coordinate translators and interpreters
- Attend court as necessary
- Provide administrative support (filing in person, mail, faxing, copying, phones & scheduling)
- Open new client files, and prepare hard copy file, including retainers, releases, G-28
- Maintain case files in accordance with Tahirih policies and program requirements
- Close files and prepare closing letters
- Assist with the coordination of trainings
Provide general program support (25%):
- Provide support for intern/staff recruitment and orientation
- Maintain law library resources and coordinate subscriptions
- Coordinate client satisfaction survey
- Provide training and mentoring support to interns, staff and volunteers
- Assist with front desk coverage as needed
- Provide administrative support as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred
- At least one year of experience providing paralegal, administrative and clerical support in an office setting, including experience with data entry, with strong preference for prior immigration and/or family law experience and experience working with survivors of domestic violence and trauma
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word
- Excellent written and oral advocacy and presentation skills
- Responsible, self-initiating, and focused, with proven ability to work independently and also collaboratively in a team-based decision-making environment
- Demonstrated ability to be a respected and effective representative among stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal skills and record of cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skills; experience working with clients, staff and interns of diverse backgrounds
- Fluency in Spanish is a must. Fluency in French is preferable although not required.
- Commitment to Tahirih’s foundational values and mission, and demonstrated commitment to legal services, public interest law, and/or social justice.
- Able to travel on occasion and attend functions from time to time outside regular business hours.
Annual salary and benefits: A competitive salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include generous vacation, sick leave and parental leave; fully-paid health, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance with a flexible spending account option; a 401(k) retirement savings plan; and a wide variety of training and professional development opportunities.
Submissions: Please email a cover letter demonstrating how you meet the above qualifications, a resume, and a list of three professional references to:
Tahirih Justice Center
6402 Arlington Blvd, Suite 300
Falls Church, VA 22042
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled, with an immediate start date. Email submissions should include “Immigration & Family Law Paralegal, Greater DC” in the subject line.
Please note: Candidates applying must have work authorization in the United States.
The Tahirih Justice Center is an equal opportunity employer which does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, disability or veteran’s status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations. Tahirih’s policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
To apply for this job email your details to SheivaH@tahirih.org