tahirihjustice Tahirih Justice Center
The Tahirih Justice Center is a national non-profit organization that serves courageous immigrant women and girls who refuse to be victims of violence by providing holistic legal and social services.
We are seeking a Social Services Intern in our Greater, DC office for the Summer 2018. Social Services Interns are required to at least work 16 hours a week. This internship is unpaid, but many interns receive academic credit for work completed.
Social Services Intern Responsibilities:
- Provide ongoing supportive communication, safety planning, advocacy, and accompaniment for a caseload of 10-15 clients.
- Conduct research (online, by phone, and using internal directories) to identify appropriate local resources for current clients, and update directories on an ongoing basis
- Based on client requests, connect them with free or low-cost services, for example counseling, emergency housing, civil legal assistance, medical care/insurance, public benefits, employment and other community services.
- Maintain an up-to-date record of all activities with clients in an organizational database
- Support Social Services monthly support group, special events, donation drives, and outreach efforts as they arise.
- Advanced written and oral Spanish
- Undergraduate degree or enrollment in a U.S. university or college preferred
- Previous experience working with a multi-lingual, multi-cultural population
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Evidence of creativity and perseverance in identifying solutions
- Basic understanding of the dynamics of domestic violence, violence against women, and immigration policies in the U.S.
- Good sense of humor and emotional maturity
- Available to work 16-24 hours per week
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and two references to Adrianal@Tahirih.org
To apply for this job email your details to Adrianal@Tahirih.org