Public Policy Advisors
Pro Bono Policy Champions Increase Tahirih’s Impact
Tahirih significantly increases our capacity to bring about systemic changes to better protect women and girls from violence through the frequent use of donated professional services. Tahirih relies on our public policy champions to assist with a wide range of projects, which may require anything from an intense quick turnaround to a sustained long-haul commitment. Many are practicing attorneys at law firms already representing clients as part of our Pro Bono Attorney Network, but in addition, government relations and communications professionals, as well as other kinds of seasoned advisors, are regularly tapped to enhance Tahirih’s advocacy capacity and expertise. Tahirih has formed a Public Policy Council to recognize and formalize these pro bono relationships.
These wide-ranging and far-reaching contributions include:
- Advancing an entire cause through civil litigation, not just an individual client’s case (e.g., defending the International Marriage Broker Regulation Act (IMBRA), a law that Tahirih helped draft and pass, from constitutional challenges brought by marriage brokers resisting regulation);
- Helping design and inform our advocacy initiatives, or even advocating directly on our behalf with federal and state lawmakers;
Complex research and analysis:
- Dedicating significant resources to in-depth and nuanced assignments to help Tahirih understand the implications of proposed legislation or policies;
Preparation of public comments:
- Supporting Tahirih’s submission of comments in response to government solicitations for expert input (e.g., on a government-drafted information pamphlet mandated by IMBRA; on new regulations concerning visas for non-citizen crime victims, etc.);
Public education and outreach:
- Donating the use of facilities for coalition meetings or outreach events, or providing financial support to cover costs;
- Providing Tahirih with strategic insights, helping staff prepare for media interviews, reviewing press materials, and advising on to maximize positive issue coverage in the “new media” era; and
- Providing Tahirih with standing access to the expertise of a compliance counsel to guide us on the recording and reporting obligations flowing from our engagement in lobbying activities.
These are just some of the ways in which our private sector allies have enabled us to leverage our limited in-house advocacy resources.
If you are interested in getting more involved with Tahirih’s public policy advocacy, learn about Tahirih’s Public Policy Council, a group of committed Tahirih supporters who have come together to provide financial support and leverage resources for Tahirih’s pioneering advocacy initiatives. You can also email email@example.com, or, sign up to receive updates on Advocating for Justice.