Tahirih in the News & In Your Community
In the News
- April 29, 2011: 9 News Now, “Victim Advocates Praise Lara Logan For Speaking Out,” by Peggy Fox
- May 12, 2011: TEDx Conference, “Innovate: Justice,” by Layli Miller Muro (video)
- May 18, 2011: The Dailey Caller, “‘The Office’ star Rainn Wilson coming to DC,”
by Laura Donovan
- May 26, 2011: Washington Examiner, “Wilson, Winger support Tahirih Benefit,” by Katy Adams and Nikki Schwab
- June 10, 2011: TEDxConference, “Layli Miller-Muro – Post-talk Interview,” by Layli Miller-Muro (video)
- June 19, 2011: Washington Examiner, “Accused abusers now being tracked,” by Emily Babay
- July 31, 2011: Interfaith Radio, “Interview with Layli Miller-Muro” (audio)
- August 9, 2011: Dan Rather Reports, “What Happened Next? Forced Marriage” (watch an excerpt or purchase the whole episode on iTunes)
- August 15, 2011: Roll Call, “Miller-Muro: Protections for Victims of Abuse,” by Layli Miller-Muro
- August 19, 2011: Human Rights Brief – American University, “Interview: Layli Miller-Muro [PDF],” by Elizabeth Francis
- August 30, 2011: Huffington Post, “Child Marriage Is ‘A Major Psychological Trauma,’ New Study Says,” by Catherine Pearson
- September 14, 2011: The Daily Beast, “A Night of Extraordinary Women,” by Liz Goodwin
In Your Community
Upcoming Events: Join Tahirih attorneys and staff in these upcoming outreach and training opportunities!
- September 29—Free Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) Training, DLA Piper, Houston, TX. For more information, view the invitation (PDF).
- October 18—CLSS Training on Representing Immigrant Victims of Sexual Violence: Safely Discussing Traumatic, George Mason University, Arlington, VA. For more information, visit Tahirih’s webpage.
- November 10—Asylum Claims Based on Membership in a Particular Social Group, online webinar. For more information, visit the Immigrant Legal Resource Center website.
- November 16—Working with Survivors of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault within Immigrant Communities, Akin Gump, Washington, DC. For more information, visit Tahirih’s webpage.
- November 17—Immigration Relief for Victims of Domestic Violence and the Kennedy Amendment, Columbia, MD. Open only to members of the Maryland Legal Aid Society.
Since April 15, 2011, Tahirih has conducted outreach or trainings at the following organizations and events:
- Abraham & Watkins, Houston, TX
- Adelante Familia, Baltimore, MD
- Aggies Monthly Breakfast, Revielle Outreach, Houston, TX
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP, Washington, DC
- Arnold and Porter LLP, Washington, DC
- DC Bar Advanced Asylum Law Training, Washington, DC
- Department of Homeland Security, USCIS Ombudsman Office, Houston, TX
- Elon University’s Humanitarian Immigration Law Clinic Seminar, Elon, NC
- Fairfax County Dept. of Family Services, Fairfax, VA
- Falls Church Rotary Club, Falls Church, VA
- Florida Coastal Law School, Jacksonville, FL
- Harris County Judicial Education Conference, Houston, TX
- Hogar Immigrant Services, Falls Church, VA
- The Houston Club, Houston, TX
- Houston Volunteer Lawyer’s Program, Houston, TX
- Houston Young Lawyer’s Association, Houston, TX
- Jones Day, Washington, DC
- Kiwanis Club, Falls Church, VA
- Legal Momentum/Vera Institute of Justice, Alexandria, VA
- Milbank Tweed, Washington DC
- National Sexual Assault Conference, Baltimore, MD
- Partners for Justice Conference, Baltimore, MD
- Prince William County Back to School Symposium, Forest Park High School, Woodbridge, VA
- Regional Victim Assistance Training in Portsmouth, VA
- SAFE Inc, Washington, DC
- State Bar of Texas, Immigration Task Force, Houston, TX
- Warrenton Police Department, Warrenton, VA
- Women United for the Advancement of African Countries Conference and Expo, Boston, MA
- The Woodlands, Houston, TX
This article is a part of Tahirih’s September 2011 newsletter.